Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Getting Scooped

Doug and I have a fairly extensive collection of ice cream scoops--about 40 at last count. As a machinist, he’s fascinated by the variety of mechanisms that make them work. As the resident decorator, I’m far more interested in what color the handles are.


Ice cream scoops aren't the easiest things to display, but a few years ago, I found a large glass jar at a Goodwill store for $3 that turned out to be the perfect home for my colored-handle scoops.


We have scoops with orange, red, yellow, green, black, and pink handles. No blue. We have a cute new blue one that a dear friend gave us, which we alternate with the pig scoop when we actually serve ice cream.  But no vintage blue ones....


I know they were made because I’ve seen them on eBay.  But there’s something about buying vintage stuff on eBay that just doesn’t work for me.  I like hunting for things on dusty shelves at junk stores and in cardboard boxes at yard sales.

I know there’s a blue-handled vintage ice cream scoop somewhere out there with my name on it. 

It’s probably on a shelf next to that blue plaid picnic tin I’ve been looking for.

1 comment:

  1. Right there with you on eBay. The hint is what makes it fun!

    ReplyDelete