In the winter, we like our bedroom to look kind of lodge-y: buffalo check sheets in reds and blues, fleece blankets, and plaid pillow covers:
But buffalo plaid and fleece don't work so well in the spring and summer, so I like to switch things up in late April or early May (poor Doug--just when he learns how to make the bed "right," I change everything).
We have a "body" pillow that runs along our entire headboard (you can't see it in my before picture, but it was covered in red and green plaid flannel for the lodge look).
A couple of weeks ago, I bought a chenille crib quilt to make a new cover for the big pillow:
My cousin Lou (the same one who figured out that my little porcelain-topped table was a medical cart), suggested making a throw pillow if I had any fabric left over. I didn't have any left from this project, but on Thursday night, Doug and I went to a flea market at our local senior center, and I snapped up a soft, faded blue chenille bedspread. It was priced at $5, but the woman let me have it for $2 because it had a small tear in it.
I didn't know what I was going to do with it when I bought it, but I figured I didn't have much to lose at that price.
When I got it home, I washed and dried it and then repaired the little tear with an iron-on patch. I decided to use it as a folded throw at the end of the bed, but chenille spreads are so floppy, I knew it would be a big pain to fold it every day (let's not even talk about getting my sweet husband to do that). Plus, they're not really symmetrical--the bottom end is usually rounded to hang better when it's on the bed.
So I cut off the rounded end to square the bedspread off. I ended up with a rectangle that had two long fringed edges and two shorter plain edges. Then I folded it in half, right sides together, and stitched the plain ends together. I flipped it right side out, folded it in half again in the same direction, and then top-stitched it together. Now it's four layers thick, just the right configuration for an end-of-bed decorative throw, and it doesn't come apart.
I threw away the end that I had cut off, but I retrieved it from the trash the next day when my creative cousin suggested making a throw pillow. I quickly stitched up a cover for a small pillow that I already had. I did a quick and dirty job--no zipper, just whip stitched on the open end--but I can undo the stitching in seconds if I want to change it out. Here is the finished look for the warm weather:
Doug will have to get his semi-annual bed-making tutorial when he gets home later today.
Family Friday: Two Weeks of Catch-Up!
2 days ago