Sunday, July 8, 2012

Cottage Bedroom

I saw these Pottery Barn pillows ($5 for both of them) at a yard sale a few weeks ago.  I didn't need them--or know what I was going to do with them--but who can pass up PB pillows for $2.50 each?  So I bought them.


The backs are flowered and fasten with fabric ties:


And now I know what I'm going to do with them.  They'll be perfect for our bed at the beach "cottage" when we get it done.

So I used them as inspiration for a quilt and hunted through my fabric supply for pieces that would go with them.  I cut out 42 11-inch squares a couple of weeks ago and decided to sew today, since it was too hot to do anything else.

Here's the finished product set up on our bed at home just for the photo shoot:


 I put a light blue and white striped border around three sides:


and a yellow check piece at the top, with the blue and white backing sheet rolled over to make a finished edge, and I tied the layers together with blue yarn that I already had:


The only thing I bought, besides the 2 pillows, was the batting for the quilt, which was $11.49 with my 50% coupon for JoAnn Fabric.

We measured the space for the bed when we went back to visit our little place now that we have a signed contract in place, and we discovered that there is room for only a double bed.  But with these ice blue flannel sheets I just ordered on sale at LL Bean, I think it will be really cozy:


We have lots of painting to do first, as this is what the bedroom looks like now:


Gross.  But I can't wait to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment