Thursday, July 12, 2012

Breaking Up Isn't Hard to Do

Breaking up isn't so bad when the divorce involves a set of ho-hum furniture.

I was recently looking for four chairs to paint in cottage pastels and use with a vintage kitchen table in the dining area of our "beach shack." My friend Carrie alerted me to a set of four chairs and a table on Craigslist for $60.  The chairs were cool with a criss-cross back, and they were really solid and sturdy.  So Doug and I bought the set, figuring that the chairs were probably worth $15 each, and we could always resell the table.  Here's what it looked like on the Craigslist ad (one chair wasn't in the picture):


I've since painted the chairs (one each yellow, light blue, pale pink, and lavendar), but I haven't taken good photos yet, so they'll be the subject of another post later.

In the meantime, we posted the table on Craigslist but didn't get any takers--July 4th probably isn't the best time to sell used furniture.  But that turned out to be a good thing because I saw this great table redo by Ashley on her blog, Domestic Imperfection, and realized our table had a Union Jack wood-grain pattern on the top just like Ashley's coffee table.


So we sanded down the top completely and roughed up the legs.  Then Doug taped off the design, and we applied mahogany stain for the "red" and walnut stain for the "blue," leaving the taped part for the "white."

 
Doug then added a piece of quarter-round molding to make the edges of the table sturdier, and I painted the molding, the legs, and the apron with some watered-down blue paint:


Finally, I finished the top with several coats of my leftover floor urethane.

Now, all we need is some chairs to go with it :-)


2 comments:

  1. It looks great! I'm so glad you were able to use our idea...wasn't it so easy to do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was amazingly easy. I told my husband that you guys did it during your son's nap, and he said, "No way--that's not possible." But then we actually completed ours in about the same amount of time. Now he's a believer :-)

    ReplyDelete