Monday, September 17, 2012

Bedroom Preview

With plumbing challenges setting us back a little, Doug and I decided to take a break from the kitchen last week and paint the bedroom.  Although it's not ready for prime time yet--we're still storing tools needed for the kitchen project in there, and we haven't painted the floor or bought a bed yet--I thought I'd share a few before-and-afters as a sneak preview.

As you can see from the photo below, there is a built-in dresser in the room, which was overloaded with junk when we bought the place:


And the two large wall mirrors just added to the impression by reflecting junk in all directions.  Both of those mirrors went into the dumpster, along with everything else in this picture (except me).

When I took the drawers out of the dresser to clean and paint them, I discovered that they were lined with lovely green faux wood contact paper.  Who does this kind of thing?  It's a dresser, intended for clean clothes, and you need contact paper to protect the wood?  Oh, yeah, that's right--these are the same people who painted a sink.  Never mind.  Back to the drawers....

Here is one partially done--of course, the stuff was old and brittle, so it didn't come off in nice whole sheets or even big pieces:

 And another one finished:


And here's the dresser itself with the drawers out before the paint job and the hardware removed:


I spray painted the hardware, which was rusty and corroded, and Doug bought me all new screws.

Here's the dresser all painted, with its shiny hardware installed.  We also hung a mirror that Doug found in the basement of a house he rented several years ago:


And I couldn't resist these cute padded hangers that I found at Goodwill.  They were $4 for a pack of four, still in the original package marked $19.99.  I bought all three packs.  I know Doug is thrilled to have six of these hangers in the closet on his side of the bed.  I think the word he uses for items like these is "frou-frou." I call them cottage-y.


And here is a picture of one of the cabinets over the bed, where we can store extra pillows:


It kind of reminds me of the overhead bins on an airplane.

But the best part of all this is having everything clean and freshly painted. One of the most disgusting things about the cottage when we bought it was the smell--dirt and mold with a hint of mothballs.

Now it smells...clean....

No comments:

Post a Comment