Monday, March 17, 2014

Green Weekend

Spring came to Delaware this weekend, and we had an awesome two days.

On Saturday, we headed to Kitts Hummock so that Doug could do his part of the plumbing work.

His Saturday wasn't quite as much fun as mine, as he spent part of it under the trailer rolling around in the dirt. I didn't take a picture, but let's just say that he was so dirty, I made him change his clothes on the screened porch.

Jodie and I, on the other hand, had a great time at the beach.

It was magnificent.  The tide was in, the snow was gone, and the sun was shining.  It was a really windy day, but because the wind was coming from the west, it was actually warmer at the beach than back at the house.




Jodie had a great time running around and sniffing. Thankfully, she didn't eat any bad stuff this time.


After the beach walk, I cleaned our little cottage, although without water, there was a limit to what I could do.  The porch awaits buckets of warm water and soap before I can set the furniture up for the season, but the inside of the house is vacuumed and dusted.

Back at home on Sunday, we participated in the local Shamrock and Roll 5K, which raised money for MS.  Doug is relatively new to the 5K circuit, but he won a medal for being the second-place male walker to finish. I've been running for years but have backed off racing in recent years.

While we were waiting for the start gun to go off, I ran into an old friend who told me that he recently ran a 5K with his 10-year-old grandson. The kid finished in 22 minutes.

"Remember when we ran that fast?" I said to my friend.

"Yeah," he replied.  "It wasn't that long ago."

Yesterday, my friend and I had to be content with finishes in the mid-25s.  But the advantage of getting older in road racing is that everything is age-group-based, so we're still winning. He took first in the male 70 and over group, while I won the female 60-69 class.

Doug took off his number before the awards ceremony, but here we are afterwards with our medals:


St. Patty's Day races always draw out the characters like people in green wigs and this guy in a kilt and matching hat:


In addition to my medal, I got a $10 coupon for Greene Turtle, which is right in our neighborhood. I see a cheap lunch or dinner in our future. Doug and I also now have green T-shirts to wear in next year's shamrock event.

To continue the theme, Doug made rye bread, corned beef, and potatoes last night:


It was a great weekend.

Today?

Not so great. We just got three more inches of snow to take the place of the grey mess that had finally melted.

Thursday is the first real day of spring.

PLEASE let this be the last of the white stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment